Saturday, September 24, 2011

Second Civil War Letter of David A. Whitehorn


David A. Whitehorn was the son of David Allen Whitehorn Sr. and Amy Cox Whitehorn. He was born 1837 in Brown County, Indiana. He died in the Civil War at Kennesaw, Georgia in June of 1864. He was in Company C, 22nd Indiana Volunteers. He is listed in Brown County's Roll of Honor. His Civil War stone is located at Mt. Zion Cemetery in Brown County. His second known letter is transcribed here.

Camp at Winchester, Tennessee
July 30, 1863
Dear Father,
I now seat myself down to write you a few lines to let you know that I am well and in fine spirits and hope that those few lines may find you and family all well and doing well. I have nothing strange to write this time. I will tell you that we have been paid off and you can go over to Captain Adams and get twenty dollars that I have sent home. I started it the 29th of this month and it will be at Nashville before you get this letter. I want you to write as soon as you get this letter and let me know whether you got my money or not and give me all the news that you have. I got a letter from Lige the other day and he told me that the old man Kennedy said my clothes were not there. I hate that for there is as good as fifteen dollars out of my pocket. I think that Steve Kennedy traded them off for whisky, so no more at present. I still remain your dear son until death. So fare you well for this time. Write soon.
David A. Whitehorn to Allen Whitehorn


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these letters on your nice website. Your viewers might be interested in knowing David Allen Whitehorn was in numerous battles before being killed at Kennesaw Mountain, including Pea Ridge, Seige of Corinth, Perryville, Stones River, Tullahoma Campaign,Chickamauga, Chattanooga Campaign, Missionary Ridge and others in the Atlanta Campaign. He is buried in the National Cemetery at Marietta, Georgia.

Thanks again for your work.