Sunday, August 18, 2013

Missouri Research Trip Ahead


One of Richard Guffey's sons, name unknown.

It's that time of the year again, getting ready for the next research trip. I decided to go to an entirely new place and have a new goal in mind. I usually try to trace an ancestor back to his home state and see what can be found on him or her there. This year I decided to track down the final resting place of a couple of great grandfathers who were of a restless nature. One is my 2nd great grandfather, Richard G. Guffey, my grandmother Millie Guffey-Conner's grandfather. Richard was married 2 times, first to my 2nd great grandmother, Eda Bell who died back in Wayne County, Kentucky. After Richard married a 2nd time he and part of the family moved to Macon County, Missouri. The children that went west with him were John D., Ephraim Hardin, Thomas M., James M., Charles, Van Buren, and Henry Clay Guffey. One of the sons photo is above. The older children stayed back in Kentucky. I've gathered lots of info on him and both his families. This time I just want to find where and when he died and where he is buried. The last place they lived was in Bevier, Missouri in the 1890s. His 2nd wife, Matilda Hughes-Guffey is buried at St. Charles so I want to go see if he is also buried there and get some photos. I also don't have a date of death for Richard and I want to tie up that loose end.

The next stop is going south down to Miller County, Missouri to find the final whereabouts of my 4th great grandfather, John Wigginton. He was quite the restless pioneer. He started out in Georgia, went into the Carolinas up to Tennessee, and finally ended up in Missouri (at least I think that was his last stop?). I've had plenty of internet cousins helping to track his down over the years. His last known residence was Equality Township, Miller County in the 1860s. This one will be a stretch, but I hope we can find something on him. He also was married a 2nd time to an Elizabeth Lawson. She died in the 1860s and him sometime afterward. John had land in this county, but I have yet to find out what happened to him after he sold his land in 1867. Both his daughters, Polly and Sarah, disappeared also shortly after this time. I found a marriage record for Polly to a William Walker. If I can find him or either of the daughters I will feel like I accomplished something.

So now I'm on the internet collecting maps and addresses of libraries and cemeteries I plan to visit. I want to make sure I can plan my visit around their hours. My sister and I want to spend some time in Hannibal, Missouri to see the sights and spend a few days like tourists. Hopefully if we can I would love to take a ride on a riverboat and dip our toes in the great Mississippi River.

No comments: